Research

Since the beginning of the Fall 2015 semester, I have been brainstorming and trying to search for topics on which to conduct some undergraduate research. After doing some reading in The Oxford Handbook of Music Psychology by Hallam, I began asking a few questions to my friends that study music and developed a topic for research. I want to examine students in sight-reading and sight-singing situations. In the average music school, a student must be capable of sight-singing in front of their aural skills (ear training) professor for a grade. These students must also demonstrate skill in sight-reading music in front of their applied professor, who is the professor that teaches that student their applied instrument, such as clarinet, trombone, piano, etc. There is definitely a large amount of stress and anxiety in performing in both of these situations and I want to examine where that anxiety comes from and for what reasons it is emitted.

On top of doing some research into this topic and presenting my findings, I also want to further study the compositional styles and advancements of Johann Sebastian Bach as he progressed in his organ compositions throughout his life. I want to see what techniques he collected and used from different teachers and composers he knew and what skills he passed on to his children and students.

"I want to examine students in sight-reading and sight-singing situations. I also want to further study the compositional styles and advancements of Johann Sebastian Bach as he progressed in his organ compositions throughout his life."