When I came to Appalachian State University, I lived in the Outdoor Residential Learning Community. In the first class we took together, Leadership and Group Dynamics, we were required to assist with the trail construction at Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park just outside of Boone, NC.

The trail system would become one of the most attractive destinations for outdoor recreation in the region. It was amazing to be a small part of a community supported idea that turned into an amazing trail system. Rocky Knob showed me so many things, not just about trail building and mountain biking, but also about the many hands that contribute to the efforts of community centered endeavors.

In my time spent riding and volunteering at the trails, I encountered individuals from various parts of the community that helped to get the word out about the park. Today, Rocky Knob is the hub of mountain bikers in the Western North Carolina High Country, and hosts an amazing variety of trails for bikers, runners and hikers. Contributing to the success of Rocky Knob helped me to understand how important public resources can be for community development.