Jamika Burnette Watts 

I am a transfer student at Appalachian State University, currently obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/Creative Writing. Previously, I studied Journalism and Mass Communication at Ashford University.

As a native of Winston-Salem, NC, I have come to understand how imperative English is in regards to being successful in life. Working knowledge of the English language enhances competencies in an array communication, thus, influencing healthy lifestyles, good professional and personal relationships, and even the understanding of one’s self. This is why I have taken advantage of every opportunity to change the lives of many people, in my community, through the curriculum.

I have had the privileged of providing reading and writing assistance to students who may feel challenged academically. My efforts have helped them pass General Education Development (G.E.D.) examinations, and receive higher scores on high school and college level reading/writing tests.  Because of these improvements, students that I have aided were able to be dynamic citizens in society. Their morale lifted, they were able to gain meaningful employment, and even further their education. The totality of my ambitions, is help people understand that expressing themselves through writing, learning through literature and language, and adapting ways to communicate well, can improve the overall statuses of their lives.

Before arriving at Appalachian State, to solidify my writing aspirations, I freelanced as a journalist and content writer for several years. My past experiences include writing feature articles and creative print for a variety of online contributors: Examiner.com, Ehow.com, Demand Studios, Maholo.com, and Yahoo! Voices.

My view of life is constantly changing with time, and every experience transforms right along with the changes life presents. There are a multitude of things that can be learned and taught through means of writing and expression. I have a great passion for all forms of communication. I believe reading, writing and speaking, professionally and creatively, is a necessary component to create change within the world one word at a time.