This semester I was fortunate enough to be employed with Appalachian State University’s Department of Applied Design. I witness the creation of the products of the future every time I walk through the door of Katherine Harper Hall. When I am not cleaning display cases or assisting in office work, I team up with Richard Elaver in the development of new programs that produce intricate designs. The department primarily uses a development software called Rhino 3D. Rhino 3D is useful in a sense that it can produce very appealing products. The downfall lies in the fact that the more complex the design, the longer time it takes to create it. It is my job to develop programs that ease the process while simultaneously allowing individual control of specific aspects such as height, length, width, and design. 

During my time there I have immersed myself in the world of 3D printing and the programming language for Rhino 3d, Grasshopper. Grasshopper has many components not readily available in Rhino 3D and it is my job to learn how to best do the necessary task.  I then teach Richard Elaver the steps in the creation of my program at each phase in development. The goal is for his students in higher level courses to implement these programs to speed up and improve upon the construction of products.  In this tab you will find examples of my programs as well as their operations. You will also read about my vase design, Sand Dollar.

Photo is original creation of Alisha Sprinkle

Copyright 2016